Capel Newydd, Calvinistic Methodist, Boncath, Pembrokeshire,
The chapel was built in 1763 and restored/rebuilt in 1848 as the present structure. A vestry was added in the early 20th Century.
Every town and village in Wales has its chapels.
They have had a significant role in the development of Welsh society. Their striking buildings - sometimes homely, sometimes extravagant oddities, but often magnificent - have contributed greatly to the appearance of the country. Today both congregations and buildings are in rapid decline.
Members of Capel celebrate the history and architecture of our chapels.
We visit them to hear about their history and see their buildings. When they have to close we try to ensure that their records are kept safely and that their buildings are used sympathetically.
Capel was formed in 1986 as a voluntary society.
Today we have over 300 members in Wales, England, Scotland and the United States. We are always glad to welcome new members!
: National Eisteddfod Lecture
HistoryPoints.org is a project which is devoted to bringing local history to your mobile phone. The background to the project is explained at www.historypoints.org (21-10-2013) more...
Canolfan Soar in Merthyr Tydfil is based in the former Soar Chapel, one of the largest chapels in Wales where Joseph Parry led y Gymanfa for many years. The building has recently been renovated after (27-04-2012) more...
All the news